Many small businesses think that hiring a professional content writer for their website, blog or newsletter is an expense they can afford to avoid. With everyone tightening their belts these days, it’s not surprising plenty of businesses and start-ups are deciding to take care of their content production requirements in house, but is that really the best strategy?
If you’re involved in a content writing project for your business, watch out for these 5 tell-tale signs that you might be better off investing in professional help:
- It’s taking you forever – A professional content writer is able to think on their feet, and probably have a typing speed to rival Usain Bolt’s lightening reflexes. If you find turning out 500 words for your website page is more of a marathon than a quick sprint, it might be worth getting a quote from a pro.
- It’s impacting on your business – You already know where your skills lie, that’s why you started your business. If writing isn’t your forte, then every hour you spend struggling to produce content is an hour you won’t have spent developing your business or serving your customers.
- It’s not getting results – Good content writers have the knowledge and skills to make your articles and pages interesting to the search engines as well as the human readers. Unless you have a keen interest in this area of internet jiggery pokery, chances are you’ll be missing a trick and not getting the search engine rankings you deserve.
- You’ve run out of ideas – Good ideas are hard to come by, and if you don’t have the most creative brain on the planet then you’ll spend as much time staring at a blank word document, waiting for inspiration to hit you, as you will so being productive.
- You permanently have a spacebar shaped indentation on your forehead – If you just plain HATE writing, why do it? A professional content writer is probably not as expensive as you think, and could save your laptop from bearing the brunt of your frustration.